Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Canada, Oh Canada

We heart you, Canada. As we were there, Ray was telling me that he could definitely live there. I agreed with him, but we were both quick to admit that it's because they're quite similar to the U.S. with some added, lovely European touches. We'd been to Canada before (and here), but up through British Columbia and never near the East. However, they do need to get more Targets and Chipotles ASAP. They're working on it. I saw the big red bullseye in construction. It was a lovely thing.

We spent the first few days on business travel and the last few days having fun with some pretty freaking awesome friends I met through blogging. Let's just say that we're so happy to have met that we'll be setting dates to meet on an annual or bi-annual basis.

The drive was 8 hours, which is about our max on driving in one day, but totally do-able! We drove through during the fall leaves changing in Michigan and that was quite lovely. And I know it's hard to believe, but B didn't cry at all during the entire 8 hours back home until about 1 mile from home. I know. Awesome.

Niagara Falls. I'd visited the U.S. side back when we were dating with Ray and his family, but this was my first time on the Canadian side! No socks. Go ahead, judge me. ;)

Notice the jacket. And the rainbow. And the other {human} rainbow.
Large waterfalls? Whatevs, Mom.
You wouldn't believe he was screaming his head off in the car about 3 minutes before this picture, eh? Niagara on the Lake is stunning,! Who knew it would be so cute with tons of wineries!?
We fully intended to visit the Kitchener-Waterloo Oktoberfest that boasts being the second largest to Germany, but babies weren't allowed in the festivities. Ray ended up going on his own with work colleagues and I spent my 30th birthday having dinner with a fab friend and her incredibly cute chiquita. I spent the majority of the time trying to prevent B from screaming and had more hummus and turmeric stains on my clothes than I'd like to admit, but it was wonderful.
The next day while Ray was working again, I headed to visit Laura and Grace. B took over the toys like no one's business.
We stayed over at Laura's for two days and had long nights of dinner and drinks and overall awesomeness with them. It was so much fun and we were so sad to drive home. This day we headed downtown and had lunch at the top of the CN Tower at the 360 restaurant. Here we are in the Distillery District in front of some disturbing creature.
At a chocolate factory in the Distillery District and B is checking Laura out. My son likes hot ladies... what can I say?
Laura's taken? I guess I'll drool {literally} over this little baby-love.
Baby dangler at the top of the CN Tower.
Friends and Rainbows.
Two very gorgeous boys that I love.
Love!
Yes, that is a crazy paparazzi taking photos that will likely be posted on the internet in Asia. And maybe in magazines. And newspapers. Our husbands don't seem to mind parading our children for the World to see.

We seriously had such a good time. Ray was nervous as we pulled up to their house and I explained that he's met many of my friends and their husbands before... and he countered that he has met many, but never stayed at complete strangers' houses two nights in a row! I'm pretty sure more words were spoken between Ray and Scott than between Laura and myself, so that apprehension was quickly nixed after just minutes into conversation over dinner. We also discussed that it was just nice knowing that they get us on all levels. We have an unspoken (or spoken!) understanding that we have sons that are no longer here and that we miss them. There was nothing taboo and nothing uncomfortable about it. Cannot wait to head back to see them again!

11 comments:

Lj82 said... [Reply to comment]

Ah! so cute. I love the picture of you + me + rainbows. Cute. And I completely forgot about those weirdo ladies taking pictures of our babies (and husbands). ha. :)

Feeling is mutual my friend. Love you + your husband + both your babies.

xox

Caroline said... [Reply to comment]

I'm almost too jealous to comment.

Love seeing those cute baldies together - does it get anymore adorable?!

Our door in Tejas is always open! (not really because it's f-ing hot here and air conditioning is expensive, but seriously - come visit!)

Natasha said... [Reply to comment]

Totally jealous too! The pictures are amazing and you ladies with your sweet babies look so great! Those two are such cuties!

And I agree with Caroline- let me know too if you make it to Texas! Just know that it really is freaking HOT!!!

Veronica said... [Reply to comment]

You guys both look great!! And your babies...together...ah! Too cute!!

It must have been so nice to spend time, talk, have a day...and just feel normal, and not worry about censoring yourself. You can just carry on, talk about your first born, and second pregnancies, and living children...and when the words "grief, crying my eyes out, missing, longing, pain, joy+grief" are all used, no one looks at you like you are some sob story...or as if you needed to be locked up!

I too am jealous! Not only that you guys got to meet, and are IRL BFF's now...but of Laura's house too. Nice floors lady! I'd be sooooo intimidated to have someone I don't know at my house for overnight stays! She's so brave!

Love the shot of B at the falls, with the rainbow. That one's a keeper :)

Marianne said... [Reply to comment]

My husband wants to move to Canada too!!!! I think he is fed up with politics and bs in the US :-) I've never been but it seems fab! Thanks for sharing - the babies together are adorable!!!

Brie said... [Reply to comment]

1. I had to laugh at the lack of socks and your comment "don't judge" because I am constantly being followed, tortured, and reprimanded by the Chinese grandmas that my boy needs socks/sweater/snow suits on in this 70 degree weather were having.

2. Is that a dodgers sweatshirt I see B wearing? If so, awesome.

Brooke said... [Reply to comment]

Oh friends and rainbows. So sweet.

I'm super jealous, too.

Man, we love Canada. And Canadians.

And crazy tourists taking photos of babies.

You guys are adorable.

Remembering Andrew and Jack.

Amelia said... [Reply to comment]

What a wonderful beautiful post. I'm hoping B's cheeks were NOMed by all involved.

Jo said... [Reply to comment]

Would you believe, i live across the street from the KW Octoberfest venue and have never been!

Looks like you had a great time!

Ben and Katie said... [Reply to comment]

So glad you got this time! Wish I had more people (well not really but you know what I mean) that understood where I'm at!
What an amazing opportunity!
Everyone else is giving you an invite so of course you must bring baby b to the amazing pnw!!

Renel said... [Reply to comment]

Look at all the jealousy going on. We all should have a baby loss convention meet up you know? I love the pics. It looks like so much fun except almost being eaten by that monster statue! Yay for friends and rainbows!!!