Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Foodie Resolution Week #10 of 52: Butternut Squash Ravioli

I posted on Instagram this week that I bought a butternut squash and didn't know what to do with it. I've eaten it many times, but never cooked it myself. Instantly, the ideas came pouring in.

...hash, stuff it, french fries, add to pasta, eat in chunks, smash it, salad topper, soup, risotto, homemade ravioli, casserole...

Needless to say, I had a few ideas. The one that intrigued me most? Ravioli. The idea was to use butternut squash as the filler and use wonton wrappers as the pasta! Hey, Pioneer Woman does it, too. They're a perfect size... and even more perfect? I had some in my freezer. I grabbed those out, opened the package and put them in a damp kitchen towel to re-hydrate them from being in the freezer. I seeded and cut the squash in quarters, threw it on a cookie sheet and cooked it for nearly an hour at 350 degrees. I skinned it, mashed it (with my Blendtec, obvi!) and added 1 whole diced & caramelized onion, 1/4 teaspoon sage and a few cloves of finely chopped garlic.

That left me with the {above} mashed squash. It was dense like mashed potatoes and I knew it would be a great filler. I then laid out the wonton wrappers on a wax-paper covered cookie sheet (probably unnecessary), added a heaping tablespoon to the center of each and sealed them by creating a frame of water around the bottom and top parts (like sealing an envelope) while making sure there wasn't much air trapped inside. You want the filling to be nice an snug in there.

Once all of them were filled, I put the cookie sheet in the freezer for about 30 minutes until they were frozen. This helps keep the wonton together when you're boiling them. I don't know that this is a required step, but I know that for other recipes, this does the trick. It worked this time, too.

Boiled up some water, added salt, and boiled these until they were warm. I used a slotted spoon and scooped them right onto each plate and added the "sauce" of caramelized onions, sage butter, and crackled black pepper.

Butternut squash, you don't scare me anymore.

5 comments:

Party of Three Heads said... [Reply to comment]

I often times cut the butternut squash in half, and bake in the oven like I would a sweet potato, with brown sugar, and or butter. Soooooo friggin good!

Solange, Nik, Caitlin and Oliver said... [Reply to comment]

YUM!!!! I am going to have to copy this one!

Amelia said... [Reply to comment]

This looks awesome!! Won ton wrappers you say?! Hmmm....

Lj82 said... [Reply to comment]

That looks absolutely delicious.

Kristi said... [Reply to comment]

If you had leftovers or make these again, I'd love to taste one. It seems like more work than I like to put into dinner. I made butternut squash soup several times this year and LOVE it. We also just do it baked and then sprinkle brown sugar and butter on it, but I get tired of that quick.