Thursday, June 16, 2011

Dear 16-year-old Me

I'm so impressionable. This video told me to "share this link" and thus, I am.

Many of you know that when I was about 8 weeks pregnant, I found out I had basal cell carcinoma. It may not have been melanoma, but it was scary-- and I'm never out of the dark. Hey, sounds like pregnancy.

I had the spot near my eye removed at 10 weeks with Andrew under topical anesthesia. It was freaking painful. I'd definitely choose childbirth (though I'd choose that anyway) over that painful surgery. I'm a fanatic about going to the dermatologist because I'm fair-skinned, blond, blue-eyed, and I baked in the sun for about 3 million hours growing up. I even used tanning beds-- because unlike the Midwest where people don't seem to care if you're practically transparent, people in California seemed to care. At least that's what they told me in high school when I didn't have tan enough skin. I was so white. Practically see through. How embarrassing.

If I could go back and tell that 16-year-old me something (okay, many things), I'd tell her to wear sunscreen and stop abusing her skin. I'd also tell her to stop dating losers and lay off the Diet Coke.


What would you tell 16-year-old you? You can be anonymous. Tell me something juicy. Just kidding. I'll track your IP address and out you right here. Okay, maybe not.

7 comments:

Lj82 said... [Reply to comment]

I like this video. Obvi make me cry.

I'd tell 16 year old me not to date that hockey player. He had acne and a bad attitude and would turn out to be entirely useless and a waste of 4 years of my life.

I'd also tell grown up me to take my baby and hide so no one touches him... gAH

Kelly said... [Reply to comment]

I too would also tell myself to wear sunscreen and not tan. I'm all wrinkly and have sun damage now. Oh well, I will have to be a crazy fanatic of sunscreen with my kid(s).

Not to stick with HS sweetheart and waste 8 years of my life and go through a divorce at 25. Blah.

Lighten up, have fun, actually enjoy HS.

AshleaD said... [Reply to comment]

There is SO MUCH I would tell my 16 year old self.
Mostly though, be more confident and don't be afraid of everything in your life. Be confident and happy in your own skin and identity. And, dating a boy who's family hates you is never a good idea.

LookItsJessica said... [Reply to comment]

I'm sure I would scream at her that she has a bum cervix first of all. Sun avoidance too.

I grew up in the Midwest and was told every summer that I "need some sun" by pasty white relatives who still routinely tan and think its healthy. Arggg. But I'm like you now, vigilant to the MAX with sunscreen.

Solange, Nik, Caitlin and Oliver said... [Reply to comment]

Wow. This is good. I would definitely tell myself not to go tanning. So gross. WEAR sunscreen and not oil :( Can't believe I did that-luckily I don't have damage. Be more self confident. Cut bad people out of my life. And don't be so boy crazed. (Although I did end up marrying the object of my obsession- so it's not all bad)

Amelia said... [Reply to comment]

I am so stressed about skin cancer, I did the same, not the best of plans.
16 year old me....You're a beautiful, kind hearted person. Ignore everything the man formally known as your stepfather says to you. EVERYTHING.

Amelia said... [Reply to comment]

And I just watched the video. WOW. And the atmosphere is only getting worse...sunburns only getting easier to get. Ugh.