Monday, June 25, 2012

Road Trip! Milwaukee, WI

About a week ago we decided to book a hotel room for Milwaukee just because we can't sit still. It's just our thing. We need to be moving or traveling or something. We're definitely not homebodies. From the need to have me constantly walking him around the house and yard and everywhere, it doesn't appear B will be staying in one place very long either. We had been meaning to check out Milwaukee ever since last year when we made our trek North through Wisconsin and up and over to Isle Royale National Park. We drove through what appeared to be a beautiful city and figured we'd put it on the list as a short getaway for a night from Chicago.

Most of our adventures centered around beer drinking-- no surprise. Thanks to the Chicago fire of 1871, Milwaukee became a leader in beer production. And hey. We like beer. Cheers to beer tours! Our last beer tours were in St. Louis with friends, just before B came into the picture. And now, B is 4 months and exploring with us. We're just so humbled.

We drove out Saturday morning and headed to our first stop, Miller Brewing Co. We did the Anheuser Busch tour last year in addition to Schlafly and Ray had previously done the Coors tour in Golden, CO. That's still on my list, as is the New Belgium facility in Fort Collins, CO where they make my favorite beer, Fat Tire.

No stroller allowed. No problem.
Nearing the end of our tour, they took us into this musty cave and then dropped us off in this "inn" that served us our first free beer.
In the cave.
 Mural on the wall
 Girl in the Moon (Miller High Life symbol) and a couple amazing boys in the cave.
 In the inn with free beer
After our Miller tour, we headed downtown to the 3rd Ward and saw this driving down the road. Anyone ever ridden one of these? This is the first we'd seen them ever.
We drove around a bit after walking around the downtown area and found a nice place to have dinner. I researched on Yelp (always while traveling) and found an excellent Mexican joint, Corazon. It's on a pathway called the Beerline.
 El restaurante.
 After dinner we headed to our hotel and B showed off his amazing tummy time moves without crying.
Hey Ladies. I'm single. Want my digits?

We checked out of our hotel in the morning and headed to the lakeshore to walk around and explore. Along this path were some gorgeous homes. Just off the coast is a shipwreck and we saw a couple people paddleboarding and a few others scuba diving around the area. What caused the shipwreck? Intense smog from the factories. Gross.
 One of the cooler art sculptures we've seen. I'd like a replica of this.
Our second beer tour, Lakefront Brewery. It was awesome. Craft beer joints are always cooler than the big guys. And they give more (and better tasting) beer.
He'd rather be naked.
 On our beer tour
I don't understand my parents. They put me in ridiculous places and think it's cute.
After our beer tour yesterday, we headed across a bridge and to Brady Street where we entered this Italian market called Glorioso's and ordered a couple calzones for lunch. They were, hands down, the best calzones we'd ever had, all for about $12 total. It was right up there in ranks as Bay Cities Deli in Santa Monica, CA.

We heart weekends.

10 comments:

Melissa said... [Reply to comment]

I love your weekends!

Matt and I are the same! We love to explore and go to new places. We are currently grounded, but I love to live vicariously though you guys. I adore the photo of B on the hotel bed. That makes my heart sing. A travelling baby!

LookItsJessica said... [Reply to comment]

You sure do travel a lot, and I am thoroughly jealous of it! I went to Milwaukee once as kid remember the brewery (I think I took the tour with family, but not 100%) but I think it would be worth it to go back for the free beer :)

How does B like the Ergo? We're thinking of getting one to replace our hand-me-down Bjorn that we inherited when I was pg with Avery. I've heard babies prefer the Ergo and Avery is not a fan of her Bjorn.

Amelia said... [Reply to comment]

I am so in love with that kid. I love seeing new pictures.

Glad you had a fantastic time, and that B is going to be well traveled his whole life. :)

Solange, Nik, Caitlin and Oliver said... [Reply to comment]

Your weekends are always so fun!! Thanks for sharing your travels :)

Caroline said... [Reply to comment]

Great city - good pick! Love the cute pictures of B

Brooke said... [Reply to comment]

Sounds like a super fun weekend. I totally want to ride on a pedal tavern. That is awesome. Love that you guys do all your adventuring with B in tow. Hope we're following your example before long...

sarah said... [Reply to comment]

Omg so much to comment on here. Pedal taverns!!! So cool. Bay Cities Deli!! One of my old favorites (I lived in SM for 5 years.) And...we are heading to Wisco on Saturday! Wanna drive up and hang out with us! And drink beer, of course?

Looks like a super fun weekend. B is adorable. XO

AlliFerg said... [Reply to comment]
This comment has been removed by the author.
AlliFerg said... [Reply to comment]

Let me try this again ...

Lakefront is legit, but not quite as awesome as the pedal tavern you captured or B in his ergo/strap/wrap/carrier thing watching his parents enjoy a beer or two.

You totally needed one of those test your milk strips? Jussssssst kidding.

Natasha said... [Reply to comment]

Great pics! Looks like a fun weekend!

BTW Mason totally loves his "I'd rather be naked" onesie! And it's so true. LOL!