Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Foodie Resolution Week #2 of 52: A Smörgåsbord of Deliciousness

This week was nuts. I mayyyyyybe went a little crazy in the kitchen getting all excited about my new foodie challenge. I possibly neglected my husband and kid on Sunday because I was in the kitchen for three hours straight. It could've happened. From the pictures below, I'm sure it will be proof enough that I should've cut out something and spent more time with the boys...

Skin-on, Stovetop Applesauce
Lowdown: Used organic apples, so decided to wash well and leave the skin on. Turned out perfect. Except the part where I put them in my Blendtec to make sure those skins were pureed enough and pressed the pulse button one too many times, ending in quite the scene on my cabinets. 3lbs of organic apples + 1 spoonful of cinnamon + 1/2 cup water  + 30ish minutes on low heat = about 2 quarts of applesauce
 Repeat Recipe: Pretzel Rolls (so good that it's worth sharing)
Lowdown: These are phenomenal. I made them a couple weeks back and those who follow me on Instagram know all about them, but if you don't, these might be new to share. I've made pretzel bites before and we almost ate every single one while they were still warm. So, I thought I'd try my hand at pretzel buns because we love them just the same. And of course I decided to skip the egg wash on top (ick) and instead add butter (yum) so they'd taste like Auntie Anne's. I mean... why not?
 Sweet Potato Cakes
Lowdown: Pinterest says I pinned these 44 weeks ago. It's about time I get around to them. They were more labor intensive than I like for something that seems so simple, so I probably will just stick to my sweet potatoes as fries from now on. Also, this calls for pan frying them in lots of oil/butter. I wasn't down with that, so mine came out still soft with more fat. Meh. Taste was great. I didn't add sour cream to the top or the black bean salsa, but instead added the black bean salsa to the inside by adding cilantro, black beans, red onion, and 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce to the mix. Aren't sweet potatoes ugly? Finished product wasn't photographed, but they are pretty tasty.
 Grilled Romaine Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette
Lowdown: We had friends over for a raclette dinner and started the dinner off with a grilled romaine salad with homemade balsamic vinegar & shaved parmesan. The picture is terrible, but I loved it! It also looks super fancy on a plate and so simple to throw together. I'll definitely be making this again.
More randomness in the photo below: 
  • I finally bit the bullet and bought a big bag of pinto beans. I do believe next week's recipe (hopefully just one!) will be homemade refried beans. And no, Alison, I cannot and will not use bacon fat {Nic told me... gross me out!}. 
  • My mom recommended this English cheddar with caramelized onion and we used it with our raclette in addition to the traditional raclette cheese (also from TJ's, seasonal). I liked it, but I'm not a huge English cheddar fan. The onion is delicious though! 
  • My first ever can of chipotle peppers in adobo below... and what I did with the extra! Excited to have that in the freezer to use in recipes to come. Anyone use these in their cooking? What do you put them in?
 Basic, No-Knead Artisan Bread
Lowdown: Favorite. Love. OMG. 
I grabbed my big ol' bag of Costco Active Dry Yeast (um, cheapest place ever to buy yeast, people!) out of my freezer and mixed the 4 required ingredients together, covered with plastic wrap for 18 hours, and came back to a nice, easy dough in the morning. Flipped it out of the bowl onto a well-floured cotton towel, covered again, let rise for 2 hours, then flopped it into my Le Creuset dutch oven, put the top on, and baked that baby for an hour. Results below. You can probably smell it through the computer. It was that amazing. Also, I subbed 1/4 cup regular flour for rye & 1/4 cup for wheat as well. I love the bite rye gives bread and the wheat for added nutritional value.
 I mean... honestly.
Phew. I'm tired. Until next week...

6 comments:

Jenny said... [Reply to comment]

Delicious! Well done.

Brigitte said... [Reply to comment]

Loved that cheese from trader joes. They r the best. I went there this morning and bought waaayyy too much.

Melissa said... [Reply to comment]

That artisan bread looks INCREDIBLE! I really must try that!! *off to find a recipe!*

Lj82 said... [Reply to comment]

Okay, I am jealous about all that baking and deliciousness. Do you think I could try making the bread in just a corningware dish?

I just made sweet potatoes for Grace- peeled, chopped, and boiled them so we have take a chance at chunky eats this week (um, I ran out of purees/jars/etc., so don't think I'm competing for mom of the year here). I also made dinner which I thought was ambitious, and then THIS.

You've shamed me friend. ha

Sarah said... [Reply to comment]

I use chipotles in chili and also in a fancy grilled cheese sandwich I make that has a spread made from molasses, tomato paste, and chipotles. Sounds strange, but it's so good.

www.landofabe.com

boo and stacy said... [Reply to comment]

Trying those sweet potatoes for sure!!!