Monday, February 4, 2013

Foodie Resolution Week #6 of 52: Vegetarian Chili {with two secret ingredients!}

Super Bowl Sunday meant a few things:
  1. Cheering on the Ravens to win the Lombardi Trophy.
  2. Cooking chili.
  3. Heading over to celebrate/watch the first half of the game with many of our friends with said pot of chili.
  4. Finishing day 23 of the Shred. Is it over yet? Try that with a belly full of chili. Belch. Ick.
B has a track record of 100% wins while wearing his Ravens onesie. He's kind of a big deal. And if you're paying close attention, that undershirt has footballs and helmets on it. Thrift score!
Our friends invited us over to their new house for a Super Bowl party, complete with lots of chili options. Selfishly, I knew that if I didn't make a veggie chili, I wouldn't be eating any chili... so vegetarian it was. I don't usually follow a recipe, but I decided to search for more unique recipes and found one that had a couple unique ingredients that I'd never seen on a chili ingredient list before. I followed this recipe exactly, but also added a small Roma tomato because I had one on hand.

Secret Ingredients?
Unsweetened cocoa and a couple splashes of soy sauce.

Unsweetened cocoa tends to have a coffee aftertaste to it, and though it was very mild, you could taste it at the end of your palate when you took a spoonful. However, I don't know you'd be able to decipher the taste if you didn't know it was present. Overall, it was good but not out-of-this-world like I was sort of hoping it would be. I was just happy there were plenty of Fritos to add to my bowl. And because there were 4 other chili pots, all with meat for these Midwest carnivores, mine was hardly dabbled... which is just fine by me because that means we have dinner for tonight. Chili fries score.

5 comments:

Lj82 said... [Reply to comment]

I can't believe you're doing the shred- you are hardcore! :)

I made chilli last night and cheered on the Ravens- twins!!!

Kari said... [Reply to comment]

I am so in awe of you.
I just started the shred today.
And it was hard but I made it and I know I will ache tomorrow but I will do it.
I will!
So do you notice a difference in your body or your weight?
I hope I see results within the next week or I might give up!

Brooke said... [Reply to comment]

DAMN YOU I did the Shred today. BECAUSE OF YOU. I was all like, "Well, if Brandy's doing it..."

I am not sure I will be able to walk tomorrow. And yet! I'm supposed to do it AGAIN?

Veg chili is yum. Stick with Williams seasoning, nevermind the sodium. Can't go wrong. Also--did you add beer for your liquid of choice? That's the secret.

Caroline said... [Reply to comment]

Why the Ravens California girl?

So is the Shred just a 30 day thing you do to torture yourself for 30 days? Like are you supposed to do it again in another month or kinda up to you? I expect a full recap of it in 7/8 days. Do I want to attempt it?

Ben and Katie said... [Reply to comment]

Yay for the Ravens!! SF is too snooty for me!
That chili looks delicious! I can smell it from here!
Good for you on the shred! I have never done it for 30 days but have done it in between my running days...I now do insanity and I wish it were the shred! You should try it some time! :)
Good dedication on your end! Just a few more days of no sweet sensations! Not that I am going to indulge on sugar or anthing on wed! I like the feeling of not being on it!