Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Dumpster Dive Kid Adirondack Chairs

We didn't actually dumpster dive, but we did grab some kiddo stuff from the curbside of a local neighbor who happens to be moving and clearing out. One evening a few weeks ago, the husband went for a jog around the neighborhood after the kids went down to bed. He came back telling me that some neighbors had a hoard of kid stuff up for grabs to be picked up by the garbage truck the following morning.

I was curious, so I headed there with the car. Among the items (basketball hoop, soccer goals, etc.) were two chairs. These were actually rather dirty and unimpressive. In their former state, they would've been trash for sure. But, knowing Benjamin and his love for furniture, I thought they could use a facelift and be decent enough to put on the deck for the next year or two.

No matter how disgusting they looked, the moment Benjamin laid eyes on these chairs, he was smitten. He toted them all through my house with the nasty cobwebs stringing behind and even busted out the hose to give them a wash. Yes, he knows how to turn on the hose by himself and often does, to my dismay!

Old School Buzz Lightyear and creepy princess cat eyes. I washed the chairs first outside but brought them inside to the utility sink for a scrubdown with dish soap.
For the cost of a can of Rustoleum (2x paint and primer), I am now less embarrassed of what the neighbors see when walking through the neighborhood trails behind our houses. 

I could've put a wee bit more effort and sanded before I painted, but Buzz Lightyear remains while the princess cat eyes are but a memory.

6 comments:

LookItsJessica said... [Reply to comment]

Love the turnout! My mom finds cool stuff on the curb all the time in her neighborhood but I've had to tell her to cool it because I dont want that much "curbside" stuff in the house. Recently she picked up a power wheels without a battery and she and my husband hatched a plan to get it working. Meh.

Anyway, I actually like that it says "Buzz" on it! It gives character! And I lol'd that he turns the hose on, much to your dismay! He is funny!

Caroline said... [Reply to comment]

So cute. I can already picture B and C sporting shades and relaxing in their cute chairs next summer.

Lj82 said... [Reply to comment]

adorable!

Veronica said... [Reply to comment]

Those turned out so well!!

Kristi said... [Reply to comment]

You know this household likes that it still says Buzz. However, they are super sweet looking in their new color! I love what you do with a can of spray paint.

Karoline said... [Reply to comment]

agreed! you are a whiz with a can of spray paint! love this!