Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Current List of Worries

Stuff most pregnant women never think about is all I can ...

1. Low grade fevers. This pregnancy I've had this twice and one of those times was last night. Cue the panicking, wet wash cloths, increased water intake, heat turned off, checking my temp every 5 minutes until it broke (over the course of two hours from 1am-3am), and no blankets.

2. Drinking water. We received a letter from our city that in August they tested the drinking water and traces of bacteria were found. Great, I've only increased my water consumption because I've been pregnant the entire time of this testing/realization. Don't panic, they said. Don't boil your water, they said. Don't stop drinking it, they said. Except when you know a good BLM friend of yours lost her perfect son to bacterial meningitis. We'll be purchasing large amounts of bottled water starting today.

3. Cord coiling. Looks like this baby also has an undercoiled umbilical cord. The perinatologist said it is normal and functioning, but definitely less coiled than he's used to seeing. Great. A little too close to home on that one since my first son died from an undercoiled cord being flattened in utero. Hello early induction date!?

4. Falling on ice. Winter is about to hit Chicagoland and we hear that we're going to be taking a beating. Know what that means? More black ice and more chances to fall on it. Looks like I'll be hermit crabbing it up inside my house for the next six months. Don't believe me? Winter really does last that long here.

On the good news front, this baby is developing just as he should and measuring a bit ahead in every category. {No surprise on the gender, btw. We've had a hunch since our 12w u/s that there were boy parts present.} There are no current health concerns or abnormalities to worry about at this time. If only I had the ability to hold that cord in place for the next 4 months, I totally would. Instead, I worry.

19 comments:

AlliFerg said... [Reply to comment]

Boy! I know you're worried, but I am happy to know the gender :)

Lj82 said... [Reply to comment]

I'm so happy HE's healthy!

And as for the ice and worries about slipping, I do too. Last year we bought me a pair of boots like these with actual fold-down spikes for slippery weather/sidewalks (these are the male version and I can't find the female verson, but they're close enough). http://www.pajar.com/men/pajar-sports/icegrip.html

Ps. Your fear about the water is my fear about vegetables (because I already drink bottled water).

Solange, Nik, Caitlin and Oliver said... [Reply to comment]

Yay! So happy you know what you're having :) A boy!
Stupid black ice. Stupid water.
Miss you!

Solange, Nik, Caitlin and Oliver said... [Reply to comment]

Yay! So happy you know what you're having :) A boy!
Stupid black ice. Stupid water.
Miss you!

Dianna said... [Reply to comment]

I am sorry you are worried about these but as you said it is normal. Congrats on another sweet boy! Do you have any names picked yet?

Brooke said... [Reply to comment]

Worrying is so impossible to stop, and even though we know that countless people never think twice about these kinds of things and go on to have healthy babies everyday... it doesn't help at all. It just makes me want to smack those people.

Still, my therapist tells me that I don't need to live in the wreckage of the future. I don't need to worst-case scenario everything. I do what I can do, in this moment that I'm in.

I wish you had control to safely hold that umbilical cord for the next six months. I have no doubt in my mind that you would do it. But, as my MFM told me, your careful observation of this baby is the gift that Andrew has given you. You know what to look for and what to keep your eye on at those ultrasounds. And that's a huge thing for the little guy in there.

LookItsJessica said... [Reply to comment]

A boy!

Ah the Oct-Apr winters... one part of the Midwest I don't miss. I'm sure you already know this but keep lots and lots of rock salt around your house :)

Gillian said... [Reply to comment]

Congratulations on the "he!" And I'm sorry for the worry...

Sending all my best ~

Gillian from Baby Talk without the Babble

Amelia said... [Reply to comment]

Sending calm thoughts that will not help in the least, but they're there none the less. Congratulations on your baby boy!

poodlebearz said... [Reply to comment]

Aw, congrats on baby boy #2! I have the crazy worries, too. It's getting worse and worse the closer I get to the time I lost Stevie, too. I'm up to using my doppler twice a day now, once in the morning and once before bed. It's ridiculous!

poodlebearz said... [Reply to comment]

Ok, and I commented as my husband again :) -Kristin

Addi's mom said... [Reply to comment]

Worry...bleck, but you are not alone my friend I worry right along with you...there will always be something to worry about. I am just glad your u/s gave you no extra worry than you already have. I know you would hold that cord till the end if you could...I totally get it, I feel the same way!

Hope's Mama said... [Reply to comment]

Another little boy. What lovely news. And your fears all sound so familiar. Love to you.
xo

Ben and Katie said... [Reply to comment]

How did I miss this post...haha didn't look here before I emailed you!
Ice=all the more reason to get those boots you blogged about...and then add spikes on the bottom!
You're in our prayers!
Yay for lil boys!

Kelly said... [Reply to comment]

Worries everywhere! Part of this crazy ride, not that me saying that makes it any better. Just know that you're not alone. Congrats on another little boy! <3

Jill said... [Reply to comment]

ah Congrats on another boy!! :) so bittersweet.

Renel said... [Reply to comment]

When I was reading and you said "he" I was wondering if I had missed a post ...but NO you are having a brother for Andrew~ How spectacular! As far as worry goes??? UGH nothing you can do about all those thoughts swirling through your head. In mediation instead of trying not to think the thoughts you are supposed to acknowledge them so you can dismiss them. I acknowledge you crazy worry thought, please move on your way now. I don't know how possible this is but it might be better than dwelling or avoiding. hmmm. So many things to stress you but the good news is...he seems to be growing well. That is something to dwell on and celebrate. hold on to that. hugs

Becky said... [Reply to comment]

Sucks about the cord coiling, or uncoiled cord, but glad to hear your little man is otherwise healthy.
Oh and I am pretty sure I would be buying bottled water from that point on also. That would freak me out to hear.

Jenny said... [Reply to comment]

Praying these 20 or so weeks left go healthily for both you and baby boy!

These are regularly featured in an outdoor catalog: http://www.yaktrax.com/pro Don't own a pair myself, but if runners use them...