Thursday, April 5, 2012

Friday Mish Mosh

 I'm not sure I've ever even used that term before... or if I'm using it right. *Also, update: It's Thursday. Obviously I don't know what I'm talking about.

I spent the day celebrating the life of the man who I mentioned in my last post. I only shed a few tears at his funeral. Partly because it was so well done and more of a celebration than anything. It was incredibly special to honor such a wonderful person and the celebration of his life was perfectly done. It was uplifting and beautiful. I brought B with me and he was good for the majority of it, but like any 6-week old, we had our limits.

Yesterday morning I got up early and headed 10 miles away to drop off some breakfast treats for the staff at the school I was working at through my entire pregnancies with Andrew and B. These people have been remarkably sweet and supportive. They've lavished me with support in words and gifts and I'll always be so grateful how they embraced me in my broken state and allowed me to feel so valuable. When I walked back into the house around 7:30 a.m., I saw this:

 B was perfectly still and getting a manicure from his dad. It was freaking precious. Doesn't he look like such a balding old man? My son, not my incredibly handsome husband.
Ray's parents were in town for a few days and spent lots of good quality time with their grandson. B has now been held more by grandmas than he has slept in total number of hours. Hah.

Here's a Yoda outfit picked out by my FIL.
Ray's grandparents, Gramie and Papa bought B a plate just like Andrew's and the one we have from our wedding. Each of the three plates has the same bridge painted on it. The bridge is a symbol from the Japanese Garden where our wedding reception was held. Don't mind how ridiculously tired we look. We're totally exhausted, obviously.
 Going for a riverwalk...
As for B updates, he's sleeping just fine. Just one caveat-- he'll only sleep, night or day on someone. It's a bit challenging to say the least. But I am reminded that he won't be like this for long and at some point, I'll wish he wanted to be near me so often. Otherwise, he's doing great. We're headed on our first airplane ride this Sunday. Lord. Help. Us. and the people next to us on the plane. My current plan of action is to Ergo babywear him and attempt to breastfeed as long as possible on the plane if I can. And keep him covered from all the germies.

I made a delicious dessert from Pinterest the other day. I was definitely taking advantage of having a few extra hands around. This recipe turned out excellent:

I even added my own personal touch-- almonds. I love the extra crunch. I made a mini version for us to keep and Ray told me that he would love for me to make it again. The graham crackers really did soften, but even about 36 hours later, they were not mushy and still had some texture to them. Next time I'll attempt to make it a bit healthier (not that much heavy whipping cream), but otherwise, it was fantastic and insanely easy. I allowed 5 hours in the refrigerator before eating to allow the crackers to soften enough to be cake-like.
Now that I've written about dessert, I'll mention that I'm so over maternity clothes. I've had my 6-week postpartum checkup and I'm either wearing maternity clothes (like to the funeral since I have no suitable bottoms for the occasion that I fit into), yoga pants, or jeans that are skin tight and uncomfortable. I've also been wearing maternity for the better half of two years. They're comfortable, but I'm ready to feel like myself in my own skin again. It seems I've even gained weight since a couple weeks ago. Sigh. I've been for about 5 jogs since B was born, but nothing longer than about 2 miles at a time. I was in incredible shape after Andrew was born and before B was conceived. I wanted to control something and was an exercising machine! I also went on a 3-month stint with no sugar or alcohol. I was in better shape than before I got married. I'm not expecting to be slimming down that much since I'm breastfeeding and simply don't have as much time (thankfully!), but I'd like to fit into my regular jeans comfortably enough. Once we get back from our little vacation to Savannah, I'm thinking about giving up all sweets again for a month.

We left B with my in-laws to go see the Hunger Games! We rarely see movies in the theater because I think it's expensive and germs are everywhere. But this movie... we saw! Since we both read the series (okay, I'm still 1/3 through Mockingjay since B was born earlier than expected.), we wanted to see how it measured up. We both agreed that it was excellently done. A couple tidbits:
  • For the amount of violence in the book, they did an excellent job being tasteful about the whole thing.
  • Haymitch? He totally didn't look like I pictured. I thought he'd be less Fabio-like. 
Sort of weird to end on that note, but anyway. That's all I've got right now.

15 comments:

LookItsJessica said... [Reply to comment]

OK #1: baby B in the stroller pic... seriously TOO cute for words!

#2: I liked Hunger Games too but I also pictured Haymitch looking more old and jaded and less young/blonde.

Lj82 said... [Reply to comment]

"make sure you get my cuticles dad". Ha he's so cute- I love the little smile on his face in the stroller picture with E's parents. So cute.

Glad you have the plate trifecta.

I didn't love the movie. I didn't feel emotionally vested In it, certain,y not to the point I was in the novel... Also, they skimmed over Katniss's makeover- my favorite part of any movie (see Clueless for one of my faves, ever!!!). :)

Ben and Katie said... [Reply to comment]

Oh my lanta...that dessert looks amazing! I haven't had sugar in about 3 wks and no bad carbs...I saw this and just couldn't keep the drool in any longer! Ha!
If we were still in GA I would be over to savannah to meet hook up with y'all in a heart beat!
Glad that b is getting lots of love from his grandparents and night snuggles from you...nothin like a sniffly baby even if it's late at night!
Blessings...and overnight that dessert to me on sat cuz that's when I can have sugar again...of I so choose! Ha!

Solange, Nik, Caitlin and Oliver said... [Reply to comment]

Yay for grandparents :) The picture of B and Ray is precious.
I totally agree about The Hunger Games. So very well done but Haymitch was supposed to be older and overweight....at least in my head.

T said... [Reply to comment]

B is precious and that pic of him with daddy is too cute!

6 weeks out after my daughter's birth, like you, I was soooo done with maternity clothes after essentially being pregnant for two years. But just wanted to say that somehow, from that point on for the next month or two, the rest of the preggo weight fell away and I did not have time for exercise either since I was breastfeeding and like B, my daughter only slept on me or husband most days. So, don't count it out yet. Breastefeeding exclusively really does help lose the baby weight. (I did give up dairy to help my daughter's fussy tummy but otherwise ate what I wanted)

Tiffany said... [Reply to comment]

you look amazing. i *just* bought a whole new wardrobe of non-maternity clothes last week because none of my clothes fit. i had been wearing my maternity jeans or yoga pants and had to get something to wear as i start transitioning back to work. so don't feel bad at all. i think by 8 wks with Julius i was *just* able to fit in my pre-pg clothes. so you are doing amazing.

love the plate for B. i think wearing him and BF-ing whenever he wakes is a good plan for keeping him content on your trip. i have found that my babes don't care what is going on around them as long as they are being worn/held and are fed. good luck.

that dessert looks amazing. i definitely should try that.

the pic of your hubby and B is too precious. we had to wait until both were asleep before we could clip nails. so i'm impressed.

Caroline said... [Reply to comment]

I hope you enjoy Savannah - it's a really neat city. The Pink House has great food if you want to check it out.

I flew with Finn when he was 3 months old and it went really well. I think when they are still very little it's a lot easier - breastfeeding on take off and landing definitely does help and he'll probably sleep the whole time.

We fly to CO this weekend and I'm much more worried about a squirmy, wiggly, vocal 9 month old!

Safe travels cute family! :)

Amy L. said... [Reply to comment]

I love the pics of B's manicure. So precious! Yes, he does look like a bald little old man. We've remarked that our nephew, born 3/8, is giving us a preview of how he'll look when he's old and balding. I saw him last night and said he looks like Yoda (in the cutest possible way) doe to his giant cheeks and the way the tops of his ears sort of fold over and to the sides. I'm pretty sure I love him as much as I would love my twins if they were here with us.

The plate is awesome, too, by he way. What a great idea!

SG said... [Reply to comment]

Those manicure pictures are fabulous! Have a fun vacation :)

Emily said... [Reply to comment]

The manicure picture is absolutely adorable. Brian won't even TRY to cut Kaia's nails as he's afraid he's going to cut her by accident. Glad you got out to see Hunger Games. I liked it a lot too!

Becky said... [Reply to comment]

I think you look great, B is so adorable, love the plate, and that dessert looks fabulous!
Hope the plane ride goes well. We will be doing the same thing when our little girl is about 2 months old.

Amelia said... [Reply to comment]

The manicure pictures? Puddled me, so absolutely adorable.

boo and stacy said... [Reply to comment]

Is it just me or is B the most alert baby ever? And I bet you love him sleeping on you, so peaceful. How sweet....

Renel said... [Reply to comment]

Love the pictures! So adorable! The dessert looks DELICIOUS. You will lose all that weight in NO time. Don't worry. I gained almost 50 pounds with Kai and lost 60 but it took 6-9 months. Just keep loving that little boy and it will melt off :)

Di said... [Reply to comment]

That is such a sweet thing to come home to - that beautiful bond between father and son looks like its forming so strongly already :)

I totally did the exercise thing - after loosing Amelia having control over something felt really important during that time so I was very focused on healthy eating and exercise! Now you've got something so much more important to focus, little B - as Renel said, just keep loving that baby boy and it will melt off :)