Sunday, February 13, 2011

It's Time to Cut the Crap.

I'm talking about my consumption habits of course.

There are a few goals I'm making as of March 1.

Why not today? Well... because we're going on a cruise before then, so I surely couldn't eliminate the possibility of eating a whole lotta crap on that trip... so March 1 it is.

The reasons for my purge:
  • I had a baby. I'm sad he isn't here. It's a distraction and control thing. Change is needed.
  • My body looks like I had a baby. 
  • I eat too much crap without thinking about what goes into my body.
  • We want to try for baby #2 soon and don't want my poor eating habits to affect that process.
  • I don't feel good about myself when I eat/drink crap. 
  • I feel my best when eating foods that are good for me.
  • I am not pleased with how my pants are fitting post pregnancy.
Here's what I'm committing to for at least three solid months {March 1 - June 1}:

1. No soda. I hate drinking my calories. I used to be a Diet Coke addict, but gave up before Andrew was conceived and haven't looked back since. I imagine I've consumed enough aspartame and phenylalanine at this point in my life. I sure do miss a good fountain DC with those little crunchy ice balls, though.
2. No elective sugar/sweets. Naturally occurring in foods/fruits = fine. No cookies, cakes, brownies, dessert. That means no chocolate. I should really be committing to cutting fried things and crackers/chips also, but baby steps people. Maybe that will be the following 3 months.
3. No alcohol. I don't really want it anyway like I thought I did when I was pregnant with Andrew. It's a bunch of unnecessary calories and a depressive. As if I need another reason to be sad.
4. Exercise. I make no major commitments on the frequency of this, but I did just sign up for a Zumba class with my girlfriends! Once it is a consistent 40 degrees outside, I may step it up to walking everyday + adding wii Zumba and real Zumba classes to the regiment. While I'd love to take up running again, I'm nervous how that will affect future pregnancies should I become pregnant in the next 3 months. I ran up until week 27 with Andrew and he's not here now. Of course I doubt that my running habits had anything to do with his demise, but I see my next chance being different in many ways. The things I control (like running... or not running) are included in these changes.

This is not a forever change because I don't believe in stripping myself from ice cream and chocolate for eternity. I've learned all too well that life is too short to cut out all the indulgences. I just want to spend a few months somewhat cleansing my body from processed junk and excess sugar. And... I'll be just in time for ice cream and fair weather in June.

But first, cruise to the Bahamas! Twelve days from today... can't wait!

5 comments:

d.a.r. said... [Reply to comment]

Yeahhh!!! Good for you! I am trying to do the same thing--we are hoping to try and get pregnant this year and I think I owe it to my future yet-to-be-conceived child to have a happy healthy lil' home for him/her to grow in!

But the diet coke/caffeine? I can't give it up. Not yet.

Good luck!!!

Keleen said... [Reply to comment]

I can't even tell you how much exercising has helped me and I have to say I really love Zumba! I hope you love it too!

I totally agree with you on the alcohol scenario. I wanted it so bad when I was pregnant even just a sip, but never did, now that I can have it, it doesn't even sound good! I guess that is good though, makes it easy to give up :)

Good luck!

~Keleen

boo and stacy said... [Reply to comment]

I feel convicted, no crap! This is a great idea. I did this for 9 weeks and felt SO good inside. So no doubt this will be good for you!!! I think that if we had no noses this would be easier. Its the smell of cakes cookies etc that get me. Good luck!! And can't wait to see your cruise pics:)

Jenny P. said... [Reply to comment]

Just started reading. Now I feel like a stalker after a long hiatus from blogging!

Anyway, must-reads are: Nina Planck and Michael Pollan. Have you read them?

Having some extra weight is Nature's protection for mom's fertility and babies' brain development. Not unhealthy or obese, though!

Feel free to ask me about my own fertility journey (weight/health/real food related). :-) Blessings!

Krista and David Hart said... [Reply to comment]

Wow Brandy... I didn't realize you gave up Diet Coke! Good job! I gave it up too and agree with you on the consumption of fake sugar...after years of eating it, I am now doing my best to avoid it. And ditto to the pants not fitting so well...I only have two pairs that I can button and one creates quite the muffin top if I do! Have fun on your cruise!!!