Thursday, January 23, 2014

The Quarantine

It didn't take but a few days for our children to be separated. Claire arrived home Friday afternoon and Benjamin had a bit of a cold. Nothing alarming... just a runny nose.

And then the coughing and fever started. He had 2.5 days with his baby sister before she was locked away behind the sterile doors of our master bedroom.

We're on day 3 of this nonsense and he's very aware "baby" is behind those doors. Everytime he walks by, he wants to see "baby" and tries to get into the locked doors. Claire has literally not been outside of that room in 3 days. Good thing all she needs is sleep and a feeding every few hours.

She can't get sick. She can't. She's barely term (37w2d gestation as of today!) and we are not going back into that hospital for RSV or something serious at this age. We dodged so many bullets to get her here, and we're still battling. But you know what? She's alive.

It's heartbreaking for Benjamin to want so badly to see "sis" and "baby Care" and try to explain to him that he is sick and we cannot get baby sister sick. We tell him that once he's better that we will have lots of time with sister, but he still wants to be near her.

We've got our own little NICU at the house right now. We have designated clothes to change into once we enter our bedroom that were not contaminated by toddler coughs and boogers. Sanitize, wash and enter to touch the baby. When we leave our room, we change back into the grunge to enter the battlefield that is our infested toddler running rampant throughout the house and watching way too much television because we can't go anywhere and contaminate other kids. And even so, we can't leave Claire behind and they have to be separated, so we really can't go anywhere.

Elliot is trying to get back to work, but managing feeding sessions with Claire (around 30 minutes) and figuring out how to occupy Benjamin so he doesn't notice I'm gone behind those locked doors is tough (hello television and iPad, though there's been so much of it that even he is getting bored). I don't want him to misunderstand and assume we are keeping him away from baby sister for any other reason... mama guilt. Tomorrow is Friday. Let's just hope all is well and at least not contagious by the end of the weekend so we can resume our schedule as usual. You know, the schedule where I'm not supposed to lift my toddler (for a month) and somehow still manage to go places and function.

Cursed winter. I've had a December, January & February baby. You'd think I would've planned better and shot for a summer baby. Too late, shop's closed for business. This will pass... but with each minute feeling like an hour, I'm hoping it's sooner than later.

(We have some totally cute photos I'll post once the house is back to normal shape. I am hoping to get a few more before posting their interactions. They are downright precious together.)

12 comments:

Melissa said... [Reply to comment]

Oh this is so not a calm recovery for you. I am so sorry. This is like what my post Lillian recovery was like, all stress and worry. I hope the bug leaves soon so you can all be curled up together and enjoying some rest.

LookItsJessica said... [Reply to comment]

That totally sucks! But you are being wise to be so cautious. I have read that babies have super antibodies in the first 8 weeks but I wouldn't be able to NOT quarantine my newborn if I were in your shoes either.

I hope Benjamin feels better soon and can get lots of "baby Care" time!

Nicole said... [Reply to comment]

That's so tough! I hate that it hasn't been an easy transition for you. A c-section recovery is hard enough, but this? Sheesh!

Sounds like you're handling it all well though!

Thinking of you all. Can't wait for more baby Claire pics!!

Danielle said... [Reply to comment]

"Baby Care"... Freaking adorable. Sickies, please go away!!! :/ wish I could take it from you :/

Caroline said... [Reply to comment]

Baby Care?! Oh so cute. Hate that he has to be separated, but I applaud you for looking after her and protecting her (yet again, as if you didn't just do an amazing job of that while pregnant!)

Oh I can't wait for pics of those two!

Veronica said... [Reply to comment]

Ugh, that just sucks. Cursed winter indeed.

I hope you get baby Care coming from B on your iPhone or something. That's adorable!!

Solange, Nik, Caitlin and Oliver said... [Reply to comment]

UGH to the colds!!!!! I hope B feels better soon to play with baby "Care"....SOOOOOOO cute!

JoyAndSorrow said... [Reply to comment]

Not cool. Not cool at all.

When I delivered William, the flu was spreading horribly in our area, and they actually BANNED anyone under 18 from visiting! So Evy got to meet him once in the hospital right before the ban was in place, and that was it. I was terrified to leave the hospital and go anywhere with him.

It is SO scary when they are little like that. But like you said, she's alive, at least, and that was what I kept telling myself and what got me through those early days of having a newborn at home in the frigid winter time. All winter babies here, too.

Julie said... [Reply to comment]

Oh for heaven's sake. Brandy. Really...why can't it just be easy for awhile? Like, until she's four or so. Then maybe she can get a little sick.
Poor sweet Benjamin. In another life I'd totally come be an Auntie and get him out of the house to run around, the bitter cold be damned (that is, run around in some toddler friend indoor venue). :)
I'm so sorry it's this difficult.
I hope by now, 5 days after that post, that Ben is well and you've been able to find a new normal with the 5 of you. Much love...

Natasha said... [Reply to comment]

This sickness is the worst!!!!! Go away for real! I think we are living in identical houses right now :( Hope everyone is better soon!

Also love that B calls her Baby Care <3

Mom in Limbo said... [Reply to comment]

I just came across your blog and am so happy for your mother's intuition and smart, smart doctors!

Not that my situation really compares, but I just wanted to relay that when I had my second child (first child was 20 months old), the baby ended up in the hospital for 3 days after her first day at home.

My toddler wasn't allowed to see the baby and BARELY saw me. I was devastated and felt totally guilty.

But everything calmed down eventually and there were zero lasting effects on the older child from being kept away from me/baby.

Anyway, good luck and congratulations on your gorgeous Claire. By the way, my Clara was full term and only 1 oz. bigger (same length) as your Clara.

I predict a strong a mighty future for Claire. :)

Mom in Limbo said... [Reply to comment]

Oops. Typo there. Claire/Clara. You get what I mean. :)