Wednesday, August 18, 2010

On Why I Love Craigslist

I'm not endorsed by them, but I sure should be. I use Craigslist all the time and love it. Let me also preface this by saying that I don't agree with buying everything used. Examples include: anything related to bedding or my bare skin. It's just wrong.

In the past, I've purchased a desk, couches, tables, chairs, and all kinds of furniture. I've even sold my fair share and given away free items via this website. While I have heard of the scary news articles out there about the Craigslist killer and whatnot, I don't listen to it one bit-- because crazies are everywhere. It just so happens that this particular crazy person chose to use Craigslist to fulfill his evil desires.

Moving along... here are some of the items I've purchased for Baby W on Craigslist and their retail prices:

Graco "Catalina" Swing - $30 (retail price $90) It was basically brand new and the owner said her infant was not a fan of swings, so she didn't want it around her house any longer. I don't know if Baby W will want a swing, but I figured that if he doesn't, we're only out $30 and I wouldn't feel frustrated having to donate to someone who could use it. She originally asked for $35, but I only had $30 in cash, so I was able to get another $5 knocked off.
Boppy Pillow + Sweet Pea Slipcover - $10 (retail: $36) I must admit that although I saw this on Craigslist, I purchased this one at a consignment store and was amazed by the condition. It looks absolutely brand new!
Diaper Genie II Elite- $10 (retail: $30) While I'm still not convinced these disposal containers are worth it, I figured I'd give it a try at 1/3 of the cost. I bought one dispenser, but I plan to use trash bags in the future since I learned from the eHow website how to "fake" the system. We'll see. Some people love these and some hate them. I'll be the judge with my $10 gamble.
My favorite purchase: Solid Wood Rocking Chair - $20!!! I've posted this before, but I'm so proud of it (and that photo was blurry) that I had to post again. I purchased it from a college-aged girl who either was selling her family's items against their will, or they just had no idea what the real price should've been. While I wouldn't expect to pay a ton, it is real wood and retails for $130 at Babies r' Us. There are others that retail for hundreds of dollars.
Bumbo chair - $15 (retail: $40) This is another item I'm sure I don't need, but they seem pretty fun! It allows the baby to sit upright in the chair because it provides back support. I bought this from a grandma who kept this at her house for when her granddaughters came to visit.
Baby Trend Expedition Jogger: $40 (retail: $120). It's not the best jogger, but it's a start. If we prefer another later on, we'll buy it. This one is practically brand new with the little rubber pieces still attached to each wheel. Illinois only allows us about 6 months of outdoor jogging, anyway-- so this should be suitable. If not, it's a $40 gamble I was willing to take.
So for a grand total of $125, I purchased nearly-new items for a retail value of $321! I saved over 60%! That's not including the tax or shipping costs I would've spent in purchasing the items brand new.

3 comments:

AlliFerg said... [Reply to comment]

way to go Brandy! but i think you saved more than just $60 ... 321 - 125 = $196 savings! that's so awesome :)

B. Wilson @ Windy {City} Wilsons said... [Reply to comment]

Yeah... I just changed it. ;)

d.a.r. said... [Reply to comment]

That's fantastic!!