Friday, August 27, 2010

Unacceptable!

*I will preface this post by explaining that this is my blog and I choose to use it as I please. Today, I choose to complain about unfit parents. There are just some people out there that are not worthy of having their own children. I said it. It's my blog. Oh, and this is my 100th post. Yay?!

Every week, I check a few websites to check in on Baby W's development. I just love knowing what is going on while he is hanging out in my belly. I find it to be an absolute miracle and honor that I can care for a child inside of my body before he is able to sustain life on his own. That's how amazing God is, really.

Anyhow, back to that website. At the bottom of the page, there is a discussion board of women who are pregnant within that exact week. Since I am 24 weeks, I checked the 24-week page/discussion board yesterday and have been irked ever since. I refuse to comment because it will do little to solve the problem. But, since it's been on my mind so much since I read their comments, I had to find an outlet. Hence, the blog post. Also, I refuse to converse with women who cannot seem to formulate grammatically correct sentences or use spell-check. Maybe I am a snob, but that's me. I like grammar and spelling. These things make me happy.

I read the top layer of posts first, of people being apologetic, empathetic, and sympathetic to one woman, Lily.

Finally, I get to Lily's post that caused all this nonsense:

Hey ladies! How is everyone doing? Good I hope! I got a question for u ladies,am I the only one that is still smoking? I feel like the lowest thing on earth cuz I do it,and anyone that seems to see me or find out I do put me down soooo bad! And I really do feel like crap! I tried everything to stop honestly and It would just make me mad at the world knowing I can't have a cigg,I cut down A LOT from how much I used to smoke before,I can say I smoke about 5-6 cigg a day,I know its not an excuse or making anything better but its better then smoking a pack and a half a day! I just feel so depressed and hate myself lately cuz now I'm big and everyone can tell I'm prego and they give me dirty looks or tell me I'm killing my baby or I'm a bad mom,I swear I cry everytime when sumone says stuff like that to me! I just don't know what to do anymore,thank GOD my baby looks healthy and everything seems ok so far I'm so grateful for that,but all this negativity everyone I'm surrounded with is extremely depressing!! And I feel like no one cares for me anymore cuz of my habit! Sorry for posting such a long post ladies! U ladies always seem to make me feel good and confident! Belly rubs to all XoXo

And then you ask yourself, why is this woman allowed to procreate? Some people just shouldn't. Even worse, if you want to read the comments from others in regard to her rant, here are a few:

lily - I'm not officially in week 24 til tomorrow, but I wanted to say that I still drink my big cup of coffee every morning and an occasional caffeinated soda. We all have our things we could do better or differently that would be healthier for our babies, but sometimes it's easier said than done. I commend you for trying to cut back and making an effort. Plus, the fact that you feel badly for smoking shows that you do love your little one! If you really do want to quit, I will tell you coming from someone that has quit smoking, the only way to quit is not to cut back, but to just toss the cigs and QUIT. You will be a miserable b**** for a couple of weeks, but it DOES GET BETTER, I promise! Hang in there and keep giving it your best effort, mama!

Uh, how can she commend her for cutting back? Unacceptable.

Lily-two of my friends are prego too and they both smoke...at least you have cut back they don't seem to have or feel guilty for smoking. My mom smoked too with both my brothers and I...so your not alone...

Great. Tell her everything is okay because others have also made the same mistake. Tell her she isn't alone. Garbage.

Lilly I used to smoke but when I was pg with my first just the smell made me sick. So I can thank him for helping momma quit! lol He is 6 now. Have you tried talking to your doc. I have a cousin that had the same prob and her ob actually gave her something to help. Not sure exactly what it was but Its worth a shot asking your doc. BTW kudos on cutting back and trying. good luck

Kudos to you on cutting back and trying? Really? You thought that was the end of it... oh no.

I cut back on smoking but I didn't quit tristan is soo low he hurts my pelvic bones my doc said get a belly band anyone know where to get a cheap one?

First, the grammar. Woah! That is a prime example of a run-on sentence. Ick. Yet another terrible parent.

I quit smoking the minute I found out I was preggers, and haven't smoked since. Here's the problem, tho. I only smoke when I drink. I'm not drinking now either. I'm scared that when I am able to have drinks again, I'll have the urge to smoke and I'll have to quit all over again! I had a half a beer the other day and the thought went through my head that ' a cigarette would be nice' but of course I didn't smoke. What's gonna stop me when I'm not preggo anymore? Hopefully I can get through it!

Classy group of folks, aren't they? Now, I understand that these discussion boards are there for people to remain anonymous and discuss the latest happenings in their pregnancy with others who are enduring the same types of experiences. I get it. But why must the caliber of people be so terribly shameful? I sure hope these children they are bearing will turn out well enough to make healthy choices for themselves, but with parents like that...

Maybe I'm just being hormonal-- but I don't think so. Pregnant or not, this bothers me.

3 comments:

Sneaker Teacher said... [Reply to comment]

I am with you....that is redic!!!!!! I am so paranoid about hurting my baby when I am pregnant. I drink diet soda now but I WILL NOT when I am PG. Glad you are healthy!

KT

Solange, Nik, Caitlin and Oliver said... [Reply to comment]

What is the matter with those women?! UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!
I liked going on chat boards while I was pregnant but I never once read of anyone smoking! That is just the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Some people aren't meant to be parents-you've shown us some great examples with those idiots up there. Unfortunately, those fools are among us so I vote we tell them all how stupid they are and let them think on it for a while :)

Erin Farrell Speer said... [Reply to comment]

OH MY GOD. We wonder why our society seems to be headed for the toilet... WHAT THE HECK?!

So glad that you will be another "good mom" to add to the tally!