Wednesday, November 7, 2012

General Updates and Such

  • I'm making cabbage rolls tonight. Never made them before, and I'm following about 3 recipes that I'll morph together, plus a little creativity on my part. It's also a clean-out-the-produce-in-my-fridge meal, so it will be unique.
  • I bought a bunch of cabbage at the store last week and have been making a cabbage salad every few days. 1/4 head of cabbage sliced thin, 1/4 red onion sliced thin, handful of cilantro roughly chopped, handful of baby carrots sliced thin (or julienned), 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar, 1 tsp sesame oil, dash of soy sauce, 1 tsp grated ginger, salt & pepper (make dressing separately). It gets even better after a day or two. Mmmm.
  • Also made dragon noodles recently and loved them so much, I made them again the next day! I made with different noodles each time and omitted the egg because I think they're gross. And also, I don't buy them.
  • B has his fourth tooth officially. I've felt it since the weekend, but I can now officially see it well enough to confirm that it's broken through.
  • Thank God. 
  • The cold is still here and in full-force. My Nose-Frida is taking her sweet time getting here and I'm getting impatient. 
  • B is also getting up on all-fours and rocking a bit, but he still does the airplane and gets pretty pissed that doing the airplane doesn't actually make him fly. He manages to scoot all over the map though with his roll and 360 degree turn technique.
New hat! Thanks Ceil & Helen!
  • We took B to vote with us last night. Why I had to use a half-dried up pen to bubble in my choices like a scantron as opposed to the punch stamps like past elections? I felt like I was voting in a fake election. And they were out of stickers? I mean... really.
  • We're like this close to finishing our basement. We took a pilgrimage to Home Depot last night after voting to buy paint. The light is finally seen at the end of the tunnel. Good heavens. Hooray. Renovation post to come.
  • Every night for the past few months (+ randomly over 1.5 years), Ray has been going down into the basement after B goes down to bed for the night and working until midnight and later. I've been joining him once the primer/painting started up. 
  • And bonus, B decided to start waking up randomly (dang cold!), making for a sleep-deprived family.
  • We scheduled to have our floor epoxy done the week of the 18th! We've never been more excited to spend thousands of dollars on flooring. Hah. It will look similar to this. We chose the brown.
  • We bought a mattress for the basement and plan to buy a mattress encasement so it stays moisture free. Our basement is the cleanest basement around, so I'm not too worried, but I like peace of mind. We're also thinking about a metal bed to hold said mattress and we like this one for an affordable, yet classy option. 
  • We also really want a treadmill for the basement, but we don't want to spend the cash right now. Anyone have one and love it? We're runners (albeit slow), so it would have to be durable.
  • Ray just finished the Steve Jobs Biography and I'm excited to read it. 
  • I'm gonna need a Halloween candy eating intervention. We have gone through like 50 various chocolate items in the last week. I'm averaging 3+ a day, people. 
  • It's Wednesday and nap #1 of 2 is fleeting. Off to accomplish!

8 comments:

Rachel said... [Reply to comment]

We own the Lillesand bed for our guest bedroom and LOVE it. It is so sturdy, and honestly, our guest bed is more comfortable than our own bed and our guests love it as well. You can't go wrong, especially with the price.

Renel said... [Reply to comment]

Those noodles look good.
Lane they were out of stickers
Nose frida is awesome!
Our garage floor is now finished with epoxy floor and looks great. Looking forward to seeing your basement.

Brooke said... [Reply to comment]

Love the nose frida. I'm like kind of obsessed. Like I get excited every time I have a chance to use it. It is fun for me. Maybe check Craigslist for a treadmill or elliptical!

Tiffany said... [Reply to comment]

Nose Frida is amazing. But boogers make me gag. So having something in my mouth that makes me suck out boogers just makes me gag more! But it works better than anything else so i still use it and just gag a lot!

sarah said... [Reply to comment]

I feel like our boys are such kindred spirits. Owen did the roll and pivot and turn and roll to get around for a LONG time before he mastered the commando crawl. Then he crawled with his belly down for like the first two or three months of crawling, it was pretty hilarious.

I haven't needed the nose friday, yet, knock on wood. Owen's nose gets really runny but has yet to get totally unbreathably stuffed. I'm like Tiffany - the thought of it totally makes me gag. In fact I just got the willies even thinking about it.

sarah said... [Reply to comment]

nose frida. not friday.

Amelia said... [Reply to comment]

I am ridiculously excited about your reno pictures, it's weird how much I love other people's before and afters.
I LOVE my treadmill. I got it for a very good price due to circumstances beyond my control and I am forever grateful. I've only ever had this one do I have nothing to compare it to, but I think it's awesome. It's a pro form performance 400.

Melissa @ A Dozen Years Later said... [Reply to comment]

I need to try the dragon noodles!!!