Friday, November 2, 2012

Insta-Friday + The Sumo Wrestlers are Back

What a day. What a night, really. We were just hanging out on the couch around 9 and heard B crying. Ray went upstairs after awhile and held B for about 5 minutes and he fell back asleep. Just as Ray was wrapping up the Steve Jobs Biography, B started crying again... this time around 11:30. This type of behavior is very unusual for Benjamin. When he used to wake up during the night, it wouldn't be before 3 or 4. This was twice, much earlier. It didn't occur to us that B could be sick. That's right... the sumo wrestlers are now attacking the B-man. Sure enough, Ray returned downstairs, this time with a very snot-nosed bebe, still groggy in his sleepsack (no fever). I used the aspirator and then decided I would bite the bullet and buy the Nose Frida. I gave my friend a lot of grief for sucking out her twin kiddos' boogers with that thing. And then I read all the reviews on Amazon {well, not all of them, because wow, y'all} and decided baby sicknesses are miserable and sucking them out with my own mouth {barf} was the least I could do to provide him some comfort and both of us some sleep.

Our next concern was... what to do? Poor B couldn't sleep because he was all stuffed up when he was laying flat. He needed a good night's sleep. We don't own a recliner, though I'm heavily considering a Craigslist purchase now. We considered the Ergo, but he would be laying on his belly and that's not the best for congestion. So there we were, back to... the carseat. He spent a good 1-2 months sleeping in his carseat in the earlier days of sleep drama between the co-sleeper and the crib transition. We found ourselves putting him in his carseat when he woke up again for the third time at 2:30. He slept until 9:30. He had another nearly 2 hour nap in there already today as well.

What a lifesaver that carseat is. I almost wish I had one just my size for when I get super congested and have to sleep with 12 pillows propped under my head. Full day 1 of sickness is underway. And let's not forget that he's getting a top tooth any day now and drooling like a fool. That's snot dripping and booger bubbles and drool. How to handle all these...... fluids. And I won't even get into the other bodily functions that are particularly messy and rank lately.

Kids are disgusting. But man do I love this boy. On to the week in pictures. I promise I'm working on the Nashville/California post. There are going to be about 50 pictures in that post. At least.

Champagne on a random evening. This particular bottle was given to us for Andrew's celebratory arrival. Yes, from you, Alison. We never felt proper drinking it to celebrate, so instead we picked a random day of the week to drink it and celebrate both of our boys. I love champagne and I love my boys.
B is usually covered in oatmeal before bathtime. Unless we wanted the bath to be an oatmeal  scrub treatment, we usually put B in the sink for a quick pre-soak/wipedown while his bathwater is warming. He quite enjoys his miniature hot tub.
Love me some Tillamook. More evidence that I belong in the PNW.
Teething baby with mom's lip balm. We only have 10 other teethers, but the lip balm wins every time.
This fruit is called rambutan. We had it on our honeymoon (sweet like a  grape) and I saw it at the market yesterday. 
This morning. Sick bebe: sad, snotty, and teething. Ergo carrying around the house
life rearranged

11 comments:

Darcey said... [Reply to comment]

Poor thing. Really hope he is feeling better real soon. Nothing worse than a sick little one.

Amelia said... [Reply to comment]

Healthy healing thoughts to your wonderful boy.

Renel said... [Reply to comment]

Dude- nose frida all the way. I'm a professional snot sucker. :)

SG said... [Reply to comment]

Poor little B :(. Ginny's first cold also resulted in enormous quantities of snot. Somehow doesn't seem as gross when coming out of your own child though? Feel better soon!

Solange, Nik, Caitlin and Oliver said... [Reply to comment]

Aw... poor B. Sick babies are just soooo sad. I hope he feels better quickly and that (nasty) snot thing works!

Brie said... [Reply to comment]

I'm convinced that teething babies are fighting so much that their immune systems can't keep up. We have had two colds so far, both were hand in hand with a teething boy. I hope B. feels better soon and gets back to his regularly scheduled programming (:

sarah said... [Reply to comment]

Top teeth had Owen's nose running like a faucet. Crazy amounts of snot...I am still not sure if it was a coincidental cold or if the teeth just caused the snot. My stepmom said top teeth ALWAYS cause inordinate amounts of snot.

Regardless, either way, thank heaven for the nose frida (though...ew, gag, ick) and for your carseat.

I can't remember the last time Owen slept until 9:30 am. I'd say "lucky you" but I know having a snotty miserable baby is never fun, even if he was sleeping well finally.

xo

Di said... [Reply to comment]

Get well soon B! Hope for a speedy recovery from the meanie sickness.

Natasha said... [Reply to comment]

Poor little guy :( Hope he feels better soon!!!

Nygel thought the Nose Frida was disgusting too but our pediatrician recommended it and I've got to tell you it was a life saver earlier this year with Mason.

I love love love cheese- I'm going to have to try out this brand :)

Ok and totally random- did you ever make the dragon noodles???

Alison G. said... [Reply to comment]

I was hoping you guys found an appropriate time to enjoy that champagne. Bubbles on a random night are some of the best. Not of the snot bubble variety, though!

Party of Three Heads said... [Reply to comment]

Feel better benjamin!!! & The Nose Freida?? How'd you like?? I'm not so sure I could do such! lol